Monday, February 20, 2012

Preparations

Just over a week ago Echo's first crew member arrived from Denmark. I knew that I would not want to be at sea all alone for weeks on end, and also knew that experiences are never quite the same unless you have someone to share them with. I met Tine, my new crewmember, on a website for sailors seeking crew; FindaCrew.net. All of our numerous e-mails and exchanges paid off. It turns out that we get along really well and she has been a great help in getting Echo ready for her voyage across the South Pacific.

A few days ago I had Echo pulled from the water and put on the hard to get some much needed work done. Tine and I have stripped off all the old varnish, sanded her, and just today been able to put on the first of 10-12 coats of fresh varnish. Through hull fittings have been added and checked, some minor caulking has been done, Echo has a new set of zincs and soon a fresh new coat of bottom paint.


I have put together a photo album of the preparations aboard Echo, click here to view it.

Since having her up on the hard, Echo has drawn an extremely large amount of attention from passers-by. Sometimes it's difficult to get work done because so many people stop to admire her and ask questions. She really is the star of the show around here, the entire Marina is interested in the boat, the upcoming voyage, and in hearing about my constant preparations. Every day several people tell me how beautiful she is, or how good of condition she is in. She really is a beautiful old classic, and this new varnish will really bring out the best in her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment